2010 Soul 2.0 5M Starter - Puzzler Question

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

Thread: 2010 Soul 2.0 5M Starter - Puzzler Question

Drives
    2010 Kia Soul +

2010 Soul 2.0 5M Starter - Puzzler Question

I just pulled the bad starter from my 2010 Soul+ 2.0l 5M, and the replacement I got from Rock Auto was a little longer at both ends than the one that came out. I checked the specs on the website, and the part number was correct for my manual trans, so I figured maybe it was a manufacturer variation and installed it. It works, but I get a little shrieky squeal as the engine catches for about a second, so there's some kind of unwanted friction going on under there.

It lined up ok on the install, and didn't seem crooked or anything (of course its nearly impossible to be sure because of its @#$%@# location), but there is a wrinkle: the engine is a used one, installed by the "pro" mechanic who goofed up the tensioner pulley install on a timing belt change, resulting in a broken belt and ruined original motor. Is it possible that the motor came from an automatic, and thus would need the smaller starter, even though it's mated up to my 5-spd? Or is it something in the install that I forgot about? It didn't come with any shims, and nothing else changed at the install location. Whatya got?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Junior Soul
    Drives
    2011 Alien+
    All that I've read says the engine block is the same regardless of trans. There is definitely a difference in starters though. On OEM parts they are labled M/T or A/T so I would check the label first and if not notated then cross reference the part number on a different site to make sure RockAuto has it listed properly. Wouldn't be the first time they were wrong.
    Well, why not?

4. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)